Sabathani programs serve 30,000 people a year with a food shelf, free clothing and household goods, after-school programming for kids, a senior center and health and wellness services for all ages. Sabathani leverages resources with nonprofits and small businesses in its building to serve even more needs.
UNITY OPPORTUNITY COLLABORATIVE SUCCEEDING IN REDUCING RACIAL & ECONOMIC DISPARITIES
The Unity Opportunity Collaborative (UOC) is a unique partnership of five key Minneapolis community-based institutions working together to overcome the appalling economic disparities that African Americans and African immigrants face. Recognizing that existing programs and strategies don’t work for many of our neighbors, the Unity Opportunity Collaborative is committed to the development and deployment of new and innovative approaches to education and workforce development that will overcome the specific barriers to success with which many people of African descent are confronted.
UOC is comprised of five agencies, including EMERGE, Minneapolis Urban League, Sabathani Community Center, Stairstep Foundation and Minneapolis Public Schools. Each of the partners in the Unity Opportunity Collaborative has a long history of commitment to the community, as well as significant experience delivering programs that help people succeed. EMERGE is the lead grant recipient on behalf of the partnership responsible for fiscal management and reporting on behalf of the collaborative. Minneapolis Public Schools Adult Basic Education program is offering customized GED preparation and other customized adult learning experiences.
The UOC offers services at six different sites in north and south Minneapolis, including the Cedar Riverside neighborhood. The $4.25 million funds education and career training that will help prepare African Americans and Africans to achieve success in the work place and assist them as they transition into the workforce. To this end, UOC has identified six key components to a comprehensive plan with a two-year timeline, July 2016-June 2018.
Sabathani: How We Operate
Sabathani is a non-profit multi-service organization serving a diverse community in four program areas:
- Building Strong Healthy Families
- Creating School Success for Children and Teens
- Keeping Seniors Active and Healthy
- Community-based Health Resources
- Advocacy – We champion and advance the best interests of community residents
- Civic Engagement – We encourage and support individual and collective actions to identify and address issues of public concern
- Collaboration – We engage in innovative partnerships that promote community growth
- Diversity – We value all individuals, cultures and communities
- Empowerment – We provide programs and services that build upon people’s assets and promote self-sufficiency
- Inclusive – We welcome everyone to Sabathani Community Center
- Leadership – We are dedicated to excellence, continuous improvement and accountability in all that we do
- Stewardship – We deploy our resources efficiently, effectively and ethically
- Strong programs – We partner with others to deliver programs that fulfill our mission and vision
- Trustworthiness – We conduct ourselves with integrity and expect the same from others