Our vision is to be a vibrant leader with strong
partnerships in a community where people of all ages
and cultures are able to live, learn, work and play in a
healthy and safe environment.
Sabathani Community Center was founded in 1966 by concerned residents and members of Sabathani Baptist Church in South Minneapolis. These were caring folks who wanted to provide recreation for kids in the neighborhood. The youngsters were well-meaning but restless. At the time, there were few and inadequate facilities to serve their needs.
Sabathani: How We Operate
Sabathani is a non-profit multi-service organization serving a diverse community in four
Building Strong Healthy Families
Creating School Success for Children and Teens
Keeping Seniors Active and Healthy
Community-based Health Resources
- Advocacy – We champion and advance the best interests of community residents
- Civic Engagement – We encourage and support individual and collective actions to identify and address issues of public concern
- Collaboration – We engage in innovative partnerships that promote community growth
- Diversity – We value all individuals, cultures and communities
- Empowerment – We provide programs and services that build upon people’s assets and promote self-sufficiency
- Inclusive – We welcome everyone to Sabathani Community Center
- Leadership – We are dedicated to excellence, continuous improvement and accountability in all that we do
- Stewardship – We deploy our resources efficiently, effectively and ethically
- Strong programs – We partner with others to deliver programs that fulfill our mission and vision
- Trustworthiness – We conduct ourselves with integrity and expect the same from others
Sabathani programs serve 30,000 people a year with a food shelf, free clothing and household goods, after-school programming for
kids, a senior center and health and wellness services for all ages. Sabathani leverages resources with nonprofits and small
businesses in its building to serve even more needs.