Established in 1966 to provide youth development opportunities and a forum for community advocacy, Sabathani Community Center is one of Minnesota’s oldest African American-founded nonprofits. In 1975, Sabathani opened a neighborhood food shelf, creating a permanent emergency food security resource in South Minneapolis. In 1979 Sabathani purchased and renovated the former Bryant Junior High School building, establishing a focal point for cultural identity, empowerment, and social change powered by advocacy addressing social, economic, and health disparities in the community.
Today, Sabathani offers core programming in the following ways:
- Food Shelf & Delivery: A client-choice model food shelf distributing 1 million pounds of food annually including culturally specific, locally sourced, perishable, and shelf-stable items; supplemented by monthly food delivery to area seniors.
- Clothing Closet: Affordable clothing and household goods for low-income individuals and families.
- Affordable Senior Housing: A 48-unit residential development providing affordable housing for older adults and seniors 55+; slated to open in the fall of 2022. More information coming soon.
- Scott Redd, Chief Executive Officer–612-821-2308
- Ken Rance, Chief Operating Officer–612-821-2308
- Sherri Green, Director of Programs–612.821.2302
- Jesus Dominquez, Director of Facilities–612.821.2305
- Greg Kesper, Director of Finance—612-821-2399
- LeeAnn Sudduth, Community and Resource Coordinator—612.821.2309
- Bianca Webster, Executive Assistant
- William (Bill) English, Chairman of the Board
- Rev. Ian D. Bethel, Jr.
- Beverly Kemp Franklin
- Carmen Means
- Rev. Curtiss Paul DeYoung
- Dr. Billy Charvez Russell
There are no openings at this time.
Sabathani Community Center is an equal opportunity employer and, in accordance with Minnesota statutes 363A.02 and 363A.08, does not discriminate in employment because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, sexual orientation or age.